Purpose of Policy:
It is our intention at Little Wonders Nursery to be committed to keeping information about children, parents and carers and staff confidential as possible. At Little Wonders Nursery we respect every child’s and parents right to confidentiality: with this in mind parents need to be aware of the following points.
Who is responsible?
• It is the responsibility of all members of staff to ensure all confidential information including personal records of children, parents and staff remains confidential and within confines of the setting.
• The information stored in the nursery files about the children is available only to the setting of staff and the individual child’s parents. This information is stored securely.
• All private and confidential information which should only be viewed by staff and the manager will be kept in a locked filing cabinet in the manager’s office, the manager will only have access to this. If staff need access to the information they must ask the manager first.
• Parents and carers should feel that they can talk to members of staff in complete confidence; information will not be shared unless it is the best interest of the child. If information is shared parents should feel secure that only the staff will know about the information.
• Parents will be asked for their permission if information regarding their child is to be shared out of the setting.
• Any information shared with us regarding parents, carers, or children will be treated with upmost respect and will remain confidential to all except nursery staff.
• Any information that a child gives us will be treated in the same confidentiality as that of a parent. If a child wishes to give us information that they do not feel comfortable sharing with their parents we are obliged to treat that information in strictest of confidence, unless it is of detriment to the welfare of the child.
• Where staff feel that it is in the best interest of the child to pass information they will discuss it with the manager in the first instance and appropriate action will be taken.
• No member of staff will discuss individual children (unless it relates to activities of the day) out of the setting with anyone other than the child’s parents/carer and without their permission.
• All confidential information will be kept in the confines of the setting and will not be removed unless it is e-format and password protected.
• Parents have free access to the files and developmental records of their own children (for example, Children’s Profile) but do not have access to information about any other child.
• All members of staff at Little Wonders Nursery will agree to respect the confidentiality policy and will sign a copy of this document to indicate their agreement.
• To show the positive use of the nursery, children’s work and photos may be shared on the nursery facebook page, but only with written parental consent. This will be obtained in the application form and welcome pack.
Last updated Signed
17/08/2017 F Moughal